Friday, 25 November 2011

Protestors demand end to military rule

Today I witnessed one of the largest gatherings in Tahrir Square since the 25 January revolution brought an end to the Mubarak era.

After 10 months of military rule, demonstrators are disappointed with the lack of progress on human rights, social justice and the broader economy. There is deepening skepticism of the military's capability to oversee a process of democratic elections due to commence in just three days time.

In a nearby street, Shaari Magles el Shaab, with the Parliament buildings on one side and the Prime Minister's office on the other, I came across a large group of protestors chanting and pitching up tents for the night. I sat down with one of the protestors, who introduced himself as Ali, together with his friends. I asked them why they were there and what were their demands.

Listen here to protestors in Shaari Magles el Shaab

No comments:

Post a Comment